Pages

Wednesday, 18 January 2017

The Littles

The 'Littles' came to visit on Saturday.  In the course of the day the wee man came to ask me something.  "Grandma, there's a big bag of coloured string on your desk and it looks like you are making something.  What is it?"  So, I explained about yarn, knitting and throws and of course they both wanted to learn how to knit.  Hmmm....six and ten...this could be interesting.  I dug out some left over yarn and two sets of size 6 needles.  I figured big needles would be best for little hands.  One at a time I sat the Littles on my knee and showed them how to cast on a few stitches and then how to knit from one needle to the other.  Unbelievably it was the active six year old who was mesmerized by the process and picked it up quickly.  Then ten year old, the wee man, is far too creative for his own good.  He showed me his handiwork.  There were several more stitches than what he started with.  I know, he said proudly, I added some.  Eventually the six year old knitted two little bracelets for her dolls and the ten year old knitted one for himself.  In the process I learned that the six year old is a rule follower, the ten year old isn't, and...I have a lot more patience than I thought I did.

14 comments:

  1. What fun! Teaching little ones how to do creative things like knitting. I remember my step sister refusing to learn because she was left handed and couldn't follow the instructions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My gran tried so hard to teach me but I wasn't very receptive. In later years, I bought a book and taught myself the basics. And I DO mean 'the basics'.

      Delete
  2. I remember my Nana teaching me when I was a little girl. She tried to teach me how to crochet, too, but I had four hands when it came to crocheting!

    Boys will be boys...even at 10 years of age! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never could catch on to crochet. All my fingers are thumbs.

      Delete
  3. I don't know whether I am more impressed at them or you. I cannot knit. Or crochet. And am not overburdened with patience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have a bucket of patience either....I was a little surprised at myself.

      Delete
  4. You must be a genius teacher. I could never teach any of my grandchildren to crochet. They wanted to learn so badly but I was a very bad teacher. They are brilliant children so I know it was me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it helped that they were so interested....also those little bracelets were tiny tiny little things. The project was a quick one.

      Delete
  5. Keep the tradition going! I remember riding the train years ago and there were always several women knitting away while talking to friends and passing the time. Now these same ladies are punching away at their cell phones instead.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you. There's nothing that beats a live demonstration of a skill. It's hard to learn from a diagram! I found a lesson on knitting in our children's encyclopedia when I was little, and then found two sticks in the woodpile, and got as far as tying a loop on one of them. Then I had to ask my mother for help. She bought me a pair of proper needles the next trip to town, and things went better then :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You were an inventive little critter though...imagine taking it upon yourself to learn how to knit.

      Delete
  7. Wonderful memories made! Boys are more into things that move and cause noise but it was nice that he wanted to make something with his grandma.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh fantastic.
    Well done you
    Well done the littles

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

It's lovely to know someone else is out there. Please leave me a comment...pretty please.