Pages

Monday, 17 April 2017

Poetry Monday

Poetry Monday comes to us from Diane of On The Alberta Montana Border.  You can find her in my sidebar.  Why not join in with us.  Write a poem, read some poems, critique, share your ideas.  It's fun, it's free....why not?

The Song of the Old-Timers

Ashes to ashes
dust to dust,
my body’s slowly
turning to rust.
There’s more behind
than lies ahead.
My favourite place
is in my bed.
Teeth I keep
in a jar,
glasses never
very far,
can’t hear things
when they are said,
all my troubles
are in my head.
My memory
is growing dim
but I can still
remember him;
he can still
remember me,
we’ll carry on
and let it be.
Life’s for the living
so it’s said
and us old folks,
we’re not yet dead.

5 comments:

  1. I like your song, and hope you continue singing it for a while to come. And that I can harmonise...

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is peace in getting old and it certainly is a privilege that not everyone gets. The things that happen to our bodies is not that pleasant, but if you just go with the flow and accept and laugh, these years can be very good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can certainly identify with this! Well done. I thought about writing a poem about dementia for Poetry Monday, but wasn't finding the humour in it just then. Went with Ogden Nash instead :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this. My favourite place is my bed too. Thankfully, I don't need to keep my teeth in a jar.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is lovely and I can relate to your words and those of your other commenters too.

    Good wishes for the coming week, I'm sure I'm already a day behind !!!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

It's lovely to know someone else is out there. Please leave me a comment...pretty please.