Pages

Saturday, 1 July 2017

Happy Birthday Canada

50 years ago I was 19 and our family took their one and only family vacation.  We drove out to Lestock Saskatchewan to visit friends.  50 years ago...a lifetime ago....when I look back on it I can't recognize myself.  It just so happened that 50 years ago, 1967, was Canada's 100th birthday.  It was a centennial family vacation.  I remember tents and rain and bugs an a long flat uninteresting prairie on the Trans Canada Highway.
A lot happened in 50 years.  I grew old.  I didn't grow up.  I have no intention of growing up.  I got married, had a child, got  a job, lost my parents, retired and now...50 years later...it's Canada's 150th birthday.  There will be no travelling vacation.  Every day is a vacation now.  We mark the day with a quiet appreciation for the country we live in, for the peace, the serenity, the health care, the freedom of speech.  About the worst thing that has happened (internally) in this country is a couple of failed referendums when Quebec thought they might like to pull away from Canada.  No civil wars thank goodness, no tanks rolling down our quiet streets, no gun fire in the night, no dictators.  We are blessed.  May we never take our lives here in Canada for granted.  Happy Birthday Canada, here's to 150 more.

11 comments:

  1. You have a beautiful, wonderful country. I wish we had your Prime Minister.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's a good politician and a real cutie as well.

      Delete
  2. Happy Birthday to a wonderful country and a wonderful neighbor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday to Canada, it's wonderful to live in a country that you can be proud of, I am genuinely happy that you have that pride.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy 150! It is a blessing to live in a country where Freedom is the Number one asset.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved your statement, "every day is a vacation now" because that's how I feel about living in Maine, USA. We moved here 12 years ago from Massachusetts to seek a quieter more peaceful old age and found this town of Norway, Maine. I understand your saying that every day is vacation because I say that all the time. I wish everyone in the world could have this feeling about where they live. Happy 150th.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Canada was so young and strapping back then!

    You're an excellent neighbor, though, at least if you could keep Celine Dion, Bryan Adams, and Justin Bieber from playing in our yard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well we sure as heck don't want them playing in OUR yard.

      Delete
  7. A very happy birthday to Canada. With more to come. Many more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday Canada, may you always be as peaceful as you are now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I feel very lucky to have been born Canadian and wish everyone the world over could have the plenty, the peace, the relative safety, and the acceptance that we are lucky enough to have ... everyone - including our own indigenous people, who truly got the short end of the stick.

    Quiet appreciation is more our style, too, Delores.

    ReplyDelete

It's lovely to know someone else is out there. Please leave me a comment...pretty please.