Pages

Saturday, 12 August 2017

Cable

We've been having problems with our TV.  Well, not the TV itself, the reception from the cable company.  Some of the channels break up into little digital boxes, the sound comes and goes, the picture comes and goes...it's frustrating.  Anyway, we popped in to the cable office to explain our dilemma and were informed it's likely our cable box.  They rented us a new one.  Unfortunately it's not compatible with our 12 year old TV.  No, we are not going to replace a perfectly good TV.  We also wanted to add a few channels to our selection which a friendly young lady assisted with.  Upon returning home we found several channels we had before were now missing.  Now let me just insert here....we stood in a lineup at the cable office for 20 minutes and spent over half an hour at the counter getting all this sorted out (or unsorted).  There was no way I was going back if I could help it so I called up 'live chat' on the web site.  Now this was more like it I thought as we unravelled the sticky mess our reception had turned in to.  Great.  Now we were transferred to the technical side of things to sort out why our reception was broken on certain channels.  An appointment was made for a technician.  In the mean time we had been looking at the TV and still were missing some of the channels.  This young chap sorted out the channel problem and advised us that there was nothing wrong with our box.  Today, the technician came and replaced all the hardware and wires from the house to the pole then came to the door to advise us that he couldn't fix the problem.  It is a signal problem affecting the whole city.  Another tech will be out in five days or so to sort the matter out.  Good grief......if the whole city has been suffering from this issue and it has been going on for months, do you mean to tell us we are the only people who complained about it?  Really?  Now we have to go back to the cable company and wait in that never ending lineup to return the cable box we never needed in the first place.   Dontcha just love it?

20 comments:

  1. Ouch, lately I've had only good experiences with cable people, I think competition from Direct TV has improved cable service...or I have just been lucky. I agree with you, they are giving you a line about the whole system, if that were true they would be inundated with complaints.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At any rate....the box is now returned and we have most of our channels back and operating. I wonder if we'll ever see that other technician?

      Delete
  2. How frustrating. My cable reception was fine but I dropped cable two years ago. It cost $70 a month for lots of channels we didn't watch. Now I get all the tv I need from Amazon Prime, Netflix and Acorn TV (for many British shows). For a lot less $. I hope your city wide cable problem gets solved for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it wasn't for the hubs I would be happy with my computer and the news on tdhe radio.

      Delete
  3. Try calling them and they just might send you a return box with prepaid shipping label to attach. One of our cable companies did that when we canceled cable and went dish. Now we've gone to a different cable company and are stuck with a dish attached to our house (you get to keep the dish when you cancle). Seems we were in a lousy place to have a dish due to trees and they couldn't be nice enough to tell us our location was lousy and we wouldn't get any reception very often. But, you might just get luck and get a prepaid label and box sent to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We lucked out. We drove across town and low and behold there was no lineup. Yippee.

      Delete
  4. Sigh. It is our computer which is having issues here. And I am appalled to realise just how addicted to it I have become.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is WAY worse than TV trouble. Well, unless you're married to my hubs.

      Delete
  5. Ugh. Electronics. Just another thing to fix!
    I'm so sorry about the theme! Here's one close to your heart: Modern conveniences!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good one. Thanks Diane. Ignore all my other begging and pleading comments. I'm happy now.

      Delete
  6. I could happily get rid of cable but you'll need to pry the internet from my cold, dead hands :)

    I feel your pain with the technobabble and runaround. Sometimes I wonder just how much training those techs have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it wasn't for the hubs I would happily lose the cable.

      Delete
  7. Why do you need to return the new box? We turn in boxes every now and then for newer ones. I am a mild-mannered old lady but I have such hate for cable companies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've returned it because A we don't need it, there's nothing wrong with our old box and B it isn't compatible with our old TV set.

      Delete
  8. We don't have cable, but we do have digital TV now and if the wind blows too hard or the weather is stormy, we get broken up into pixels too. It's so frustrating, never happened with the old analogue TV signal. Well, not so much anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been nothing but trouble since they went digital....and it's more expensive too.

      Delete
  9. Oh, I feel your pain and frustration! Cable here is so expensive, too, and I, plus everyone I know (who expresses their opinion) wishes we could just pick and choose what channels we want and then get a reasonable price! But, NO, that would make way too much sense, now wouldn't it?? We haven't had cable for 6 months (and a year or so ago, didn't have it for 2 years!) but we have one of those inside antennas that picks up a few channels and we are perfectly happy. I really thought my husband wouldn't be able to stand it, but he's happy to save the money. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We would happily cut down to about 20 stations compared to the 70n or so we have now, 3/4 of which are in a language we do not speak.

      Delete
    2. It's so frustrating, never happened with the old analogue TV signal. Well, not so much anyway.

      แคมฟรอก

      Delete

It's lovely to know someone else is out there. Please leave me a comment...pretty please.